#25: 3 Dec 1944, Leyte


M10 Wolverine & M4 Sherman of 77th Infantry Division. Leyte, 1944 (Photo: WWII Archives)

"Leyte was to be the anvil against which I hoped to hammer the Japanese into submission in the central Philippines - the springboard from which I could proceed to the conquest of Luzon, for the final assault against Japan itself." --General Douglas MacArthur.


Dec 3rd, 1944

Dearest May:

After not being able to write because your movement here in the Philippines. I hope to be able to write more often at least in the next few days. I shall try to write every day to make up for the long silence.

We have evening air activity here, but luckily no strafing, once in a while a bombing. But we most generally get all the Jap planes that are in the skies.  I'm glad you're getting mother such a swell Xmas gift. I shall send you more cash to make up the difference in purchase. I know that she will like it. Incidentally, I'm glad mom bought that home in Flatbush, she'll be lots happier in the change for the better. Got a letter today from Bill, certainly glad to hear from him. Hoping you're fine. Give Joan my love.

Best to all. Your brother

Arthur

Thanks for your nice birthday card!

No comments:

Post a Comment